Top 10 reasons I hate living in Hawaii
10. I have a dead gecko in my room…at least I think its dead. I found it 2 days ago and in that time it has changed positions twice. So either it really likes “sleeping” there or it’s dead. I’m afraid to touch it for the mere fact that it will jump and scare the living crap out of me.
9. There is no air conditioning at my gym. Granted it’s not 110 degrees outside but it’s still a balmy 80 degrees with lots of humidity. There are a few box fans in the gym but either they don’t work or no one uses them. If I can find one I strategically place it in front of me while I run on the treadmill so I don’t pass out…seriously I’ve felt like passing out a few times. What gym doesn’t have air conditioning…and in Hawaii!?!?! Mine I suppose.
8. Vegetables are ridiculously expensive! Holy Shit! I bought a red bell pepper at the store the other day and it cost me $3.90! No joke! And that was for ONE! I almost choked and considered asking the clerk to remove it from my purchase and just put it back. Instead I took it home and ate the freaking thing and let me tell you it will be the best red bell pepper I’ve ever eaten only because it cost that much! Note to anyone that comes to Hawaii…get your vegetables at the local farmers market.
7. My job. The 105 year old patient got put back on my caseload. God is testing me, I’m sure of it. Then my boss has the nerve to tell one of our therapists who in a meeting said she had an ethical dilemma treating a patient because she felt they didn’t need therapy anymore and wanted to discharge her. My boss actually said, and I quote…”it’s not about an ethical dilemma, it’s about what’s best for the patient”. Excuse me, what?! From my experience if someone has an ethical dilemma about a treatment it generally means there shouldn’t be one. But that’s just coming from me…and I have ethics.
6. Everything smells damp. Yup…welcome to Hilo. It’s just the Hilo smell. Since this is the rainiest city in the United States nothing dries out. Ah well, you get used to it I suppose.
5. Once you’ve been around the island…you’ve pretty much seen it all. You can’t go wandering off into neighboring states because there aren’t any. Freaking island!
4. Take the garbage out…sure I just have to stop by the dump on the way to work. So I live in Kae’au which is about 20 minutes outside of Hilo. Evidently they don’t believe in services such as mail delivery or garbage pickup which means in order to take my trash out, that involves lugging my stanky garbage into my car and driving 15 minutes North. Mmmm, that’s a great smell in the morning.
3. Rain…freaking A! I thought Seattle had a lot.
2. Shit’s expensive!
1. I just want a white sandy beach…but I got volcano rock. Yup since I’m on the volcano side of the island I get the rock that comes with it. I have to drive to the other side of the island in order to find sand.
Now to look at the positive…the top 10 reasons I love living in Hawaii
10. Everyone is laid back! Dude, seriously you just go with the flow and let me tell you how nice that is! People don’t cut you off in traffic, don’t flip you off, and don’t yell! They actually let you in when there’s traffic! What a concept!
9. There are palm trees everywhere! You can’t turn without seeing one!
8. You see at least 3 rainbows a week on the way to work! Makes up for the rain!
7. When the weathers nice…it is nice! Blue sky, palm trees (sorry, already mentioned that), and water. Beautiful!
6. WATER!!! The view of the bay and the ocean is gorgeous! I don’t get tired of this view.
5. Tons of hiking…to waterfalls, to beaches, to flowing lava on the volcano! Freaking cool!
4. Paddling…yup I am going to start paddling. One of Hawaii’s oldest traditions and part of their heritage and this haole girl is going to try it! Right in Hilo bay baby!
3. The people I work with are great (expect my boss). I’ve met some great people who are tons of fun and yet once again this is why I love traveling.
2. I can drive to the other side of the island to see the white sandy beaches and sunshine…and a sunset.
1. You get lost in your thoughts because it’s so peaceful. Hard to find in a big city!
So there you go…my negative and positive thoughts on this whole thing. I won’t lie and say I won’t be ready to go home. I will be! I love a lot of things about this place but at the same time I need some stimulation of a big city! I may return here and there to work a month at a time if they need me…doesn’t hurt to have that option when I want to come to Hawaii! However I won’t be extending here or signing on for a year! Only a month and a half to go!

No comments:
Post a Comment