The parents were here and let the fun begin! I picked them up at the airport last Friday…sans the travel pants from mom. Evidently they wouldn’t work in Hawaii…but somehow they work driving through the desert of Arizona?! I’ll let you know when I understand that one. We went to dinner and back to my place where I had a burial for the gecko that hadn’t moved in a few days…figured the parents didn’t need a sleeping buddy at the foot of the bed. So out he went and to sleep everyone goes.
We had a great time while they were here! We visited Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, Pearl Harbor, Waikiki, Kona, and Hilo several times. A good time was had by all….mom’s guest blog to come soon!
They even got to see me in action with my new sport of choice…paddling. A girl I work with has talked me into joining her women’s paddling team. It sounded like fun and by the first practice I was hooked! I am now part of the Puna Women’s Hawaiian Outrigger Canoe paddling team. If you’ve ever wanted to do something truly Hawaiian…this is it! There is a lot of technique involved and you are sore the next day but it’s worth it. One of the hardest parts…lifting yourself up into the boat while chest deep in water…or even when you’re out in the middle of the bay where you can’t’ reach. That’s a picture!
This week I also had a date with surfer dude. A friend I work with set me up with his friend that he surfs with who is also going to school to be a nurse. Evidently my friend Pete told him I was tall and it seems surfer dude is shorter than me…go freaking figure. Well when I met him it’s not as if I could rest my chin on the top of his head but he definitely was shorter than me. However I didn’t feel like I could pick him up and toss him across the parking lot so the date continued. Basic info: he’s a nice guy, was in the Marines for 6 years, going to school to be a nurse, from San Diego, surfs, and is shorter than me. So we have another “date” this week…basically getting together for a beer. Not sure this will go anywhere but at least I’ll have a new friend around here that will teach me how to surf!
The parents are gone…they left this morning. I wish they didn’t have to go but I suppose that is what happens when people come to visit! Next weekend Tanya, Kris, and baby Megs are coming for a week at Case de la Sierra. I can’t wait!
Sunday, February 04, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Travel pants worked in AZ because I was traveling THRU the state and not staying in it. They were only warm for a little while. If I'd worn them in HI I would have sweated some weight off and who would want that to happen?
Post a Comment