Wednesday, December 27, 2006

People watching...I vote it be a sport

So it’s a Wednesday night and while I only have a few more days in my “apartment” I still don’t want to spend my last remaining days there hanging out. If I was going to miss it like I already miss my friend Lisa’s apartment then I would be spending time there. However that is not the case so I am at Borders/Starbucks checking my email and people watching. I haven’t people watched in a long time so this is kind of fun. It’s like a science project where you sit in the corner and just see what type of social experiment unfolds. Let’s see….we’ll start with the guy in the corner.

Average guy, maybe in his 30’s sitting at a table looking at his laptop. Bald…by choice, he obviously shaves his head. Big muscle type guy who reminds me of a bulldog. Not in an ugly bulldog way but in the very broad shoulder kind of way. The only thing that strikes me is the very large silver chain around his neck. It isn’t just a simple piece of bling…it is a large piece that looks like it could tow a truck if need be. Hmmm, interesting. If he had a mullet this would be better.

Ok, next table. A group of guys studying. Some look like they just got out of high school and are in college while the others look like they may be in their late 20’s. I can hear them asking questions like “what are the contraindications for someone on oxygen?” I’m thinking they’re going to school to be nurses or EMT’s. Now I know guys who are nurses and go to nursing school, but I don’t know that these dudes are going to be nurses. I’m thinking EMT’s? Hell I have no idea, they could be going into school to be the people that test your feces for an abnormal bacteria. I should just ask…but that would disrupt my social experiment of watching them. Movin on!

Oh my. Let me just start this by saying I am not making this up. Seriously, this is what I see and I will swear on my ipod! There is a lady sitting on the couch that looks to be in her late 40’s early 50’s wearing a big fury pink and purple hat. The one like Pamela Anderson wore at one point in her life (don’t ask me when or where or why, I just remember seeing the picture). She is also donning a purple sweater and pink/purple plaid pants which is completed with black boots. Excuse me…what?! Yeah, I don’t know. A person she knows just came up to talk to her…at least I’m assuming it’s her friend because I don’t know that anyone would just go up and talk to her out of the blue. At least I wouldn’t…maybe because I’m afraid or just mean. Who knows. Hawaii is an interesting town as far as what people wear…especially in Hilo. But this…this takes the cake. I don’t even know what to do right now, I want to look away but my eyes are fixed on this purple/pink mass. Help!

Another table of a kid reading a comic book…oh wait. Excuse me. I don’t want to get yelled at by the comic geeks…he’s reading a graphic novel. Hey, at least he’s reading I suppose. Although he’ll probably get home and sit in front of his Playstation 2 for 3 hours. Sad, but true and you know it.

Some dude picking his nose…or at least it looks like it. I can’t really tell. His left side is facing me and he’s using his right hand to pick/scratch the right side of his nostril. It’s like the Seinfeld episode right in front of me.

New guy just sat down across from me. He isn’t reading or even pretending to, he’s just sitting there staring at the floor. I think he’s drunk, or stoned. Stoned, I’m going with stoned. Whoa! Yeah, definitely stoned.

Other than these few people there are just people reading or talking while drinking coffee and chillin. There are always a few abnormal folks in a crowd. Who knows, maybe I’m one too….crap. What if someone is people watching me and writing…shit. “A girl sits in the corner with jeans, a t-shirt and a jacket. A jacket? Hello it’s Hawaii! Her hair is up and kind of curly…looks like she worked out but didn’t bother washing her hair afterwards (ok, yes I didn’t wash it…I’ll wash it in the morning, I’m lazy I tell you!). She is sitting there typing way too fast to be humanly possible and listening to her ipod with her cell phone sitting next to her. How many high-tech gadgets can she have? Seriously! What a geek! She probably has her own blog!” Ahem…not that any of that is true.

Ok so my work week is coming to a close. Tomorrow is my Friday and I can’t wait for it to be over! Friday will be spent packing my “apartment” and packing a suitcase to go to the other side of the island when Mark gets here. We’ll first make a pit stop at a going away party for one of our PT’s. I’ll make an appearance to look like I’m social and they can meet the Will to my Grace.

Ok, as interesting as this whole blog is (if you’re still reading at this point I give you extra credit points for that!) I am signing off. Only for the mere fact that I can’t think of anything else to write…obviously since I’ve been rambling about people sitting around me. Dude, the lady with the pink hat just came back and is sitting next to me reading the paper…I so want to ask but NO! I won’t.

Aloha!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm thinking that maybe the purple and pink plaid pants might be her oh-so-comfortable TRAVEL pants.

Anonymous said...

I'm planning on dressing like that lady in pink and purple when I get to be about 68. I know my children will love that! There's nothing like making your kids proud!