Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Christmas...Hawaiian style

All I can say is…this Christmas was weird. I know everyone is used to their traditions and there are times in life when traditions get changed or shifted at times secondary to getting married, moving, having to work…whatever the case may be…it happens and people deal with it. I can deal with it, however this…this is just freaking weird! Again, let me state for the record…I am not doing this next year (although we all know how quickly my mind changes so lets not place bets on this quite yet).

Yes I know, I’m in Hawaii…I shouldn’t complain. I’m not complaining I’m just…well yeah ok I’m complaining. It’s freaking Christmas! My favorite holiday of all times! I won’t be woken up at 5:00 AM by my insane mom who opens the door, lets the dogs jump on my bed while she shakes Christmas bells like Santa is standing outside my door. I won’t go out to the living room to see the Christmas tree all lit up and listen to the Christmas music playing in the background. I won’t get to sit there and watch my dad drink his coffee with his dad smile on his face. I won’t be able to put Christmas bows on the heads of two stupid but funny dogs just for pure entertainments sake. I won’t be able to eat the great Christmas breakfast my mom makes and then fall asleep soon after because I was woken up at 5:00 AM. I won’t be able to watch A Christmas Story 50 times and still laugh at every other scene I’ve already laughed at 12 times. This is what I look forward to every year! Why, why, why, why did I come to Hawaii over Christmas. Its official…I’m an idiot (no need to agree…you can just keep that to yourself).

So here is a recap of my Christmas in Hawaii:

6:30 AM: I wake up…not to the sound of my mom walking down the hall but to the sound of my alarm. Freakin A! I have to work. Why did I say I would? I drag myself out of the comfortable bed I am sleeping in and head for the shower. Let me just point out that I didn’t get woken up by ducks this time because I’m staying at my friends apartment for the weekend while she’s in Oahu…and she has no ducks outside. As I’m getting ready there is a knock on my door. The lady who lives in the house upstairs, and who owns the attached apartment and who works where I do, invites me up for breakfast. Well ok! It’s better than a piece of bread with peanut butter on it. I head upstairs where she feeds me ham, scrambled eggs, fresh orange juice, cornbread, and coffee. Mmmm, not as good as moms Christmas breakfast but it will do! I eat in a hurry and head out the door for my Jeep and rush to work. On the way I call my parents to wish them a Merry Christmas then hang up since I have to go clock in.

7:30-3:30 I work. Nothing really exciting happens here. I see some patients, make them move their arms, build their endurance, increase their standing tolerance, range their joints, write notes, and then clock out. It’s a quiet day…after all it is Christmas. While I hate having to work on Christmas it is nice to have the whole rehab gym to myself. Very quiet and I don’t have to fight for space. That is the positive right here.

4:00-4:40: I run. Yeah I know…it’s a holiday therefore I should take a day off from working out. However I didn’t workout Sunday and I’ve been eating crap for the past few days so I have to do it sometime. So I hit the park by the beach and run and realize there are tons of people here today. I guess it’s the thing to do in Hawaii…go to the park/beach on Christmas. Interesting.

5:00: I call my parents again and this time they get to listen to me open my presents over the phone. Ok, this is strange. My mom tells me to yell while I open the presents describing what I’m opening so that she and my dad can hear. I tell her I’m not going to yell…that is just stupid. So instead mom gives dad a running commentary of what I’m opening and what my reaction is. I’m sure he’s enjoying this…in fact I would place money on it.

5:30: I make Christmas dinner. Nothing like salad and Stove Top stuffing to celebrate! That’s right! Who’s jealous…raise your hands! How much better could Christmas dinner get? Oh wait, I guess if I had turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, stuffing, pie, and cider it would be better. Whatever, my stove top is burning…I must attend to it.

6:30: I am watching The Big Lebowski on TV. Good God. So I stop watching it and read my book. Good times.

7:00: Lisa calls and tells me her flight arrived. This means I have to leave her apartment and pick her up. I drop her off back at her place and head to my “apartment”. I’m sad, I want to live at her place forever. I wonder if she’ll move?

7:30: I’m doing Christmas laundry! My mom informed me this is what she would be doing that evening so I might as well fall into that new family tradition. I feel like we’re celebrating Christmas together…over laundry. It’s the closest Christmas feeling I’ve got right now, so go with it.

9:00: I’m folding laundry. Man, my life rocks!

10:00: I’m in bed…I have to get up and go to work in the morning. Fun stuff.

So there you have it…Hawaiian Christmas 2006.

New Years will be rung in on the West side of the island in Kona. Mark gets here Friday and we’ll head over to the dry side of the island where there are beaches. We’ll ring in the new year in style…probably on a beach watching the lame fireworks families are lighting because there are no fireworks show here. Nothing more than that will happen…trust me, it’s not going to be exciting.

I hope everyone enjoyed their Christmas! Next year if you all want to come over for salad, stove top, and folding laundry…let me know! You’re more than welcome!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It would have been much more cheerful if you'd worn the holiday socks I sent you - or were they in your Christmas laundry?

The dogs were quite dissapointed you weren't around to humiliate them with bows.