Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Hell-waii

Ok so I know I should be ecstatic about being in Hawaii. When I got the job I was thrilled and couldn’t have been more excited to come here. However I think the excitement has dwindled since I’ve stepped off the plane. I got here on Saturday only to learn the night before that I may not start work until Wednesday due to me having to go through orientation first. Would have been nice to know considering I could have stayed home for a few more days. Whatever…I’m here. I get my rental car and am happy. A Jeep…new. Only 700 miles on it and it still smells like new car! This is great! So I pack my bags in my car and head to the hotel I will be staying at over the weekend. The hotel…hmmm. Not sure how to describe it. I first drive up and see a wedding reception in the lobby…so it can’t be that bad. Then I check in and see a sign stating that there is remodeling going on…ok. I go up the elevator and as I step off I see the remodeling being done. The walls are somewhat torn up, the hallways are grimy and the actual room…while still in tact is less to be desired. Pink carpet…that is faded from the sun and a dingy room. Not horrible, I can manage it for a few days…but it’s a motel 6 basically. Whatever, it’s 2 days. So Sunday I spend the day driving around town and just trying to get to know my way around. This is a small town so I really don’t need a lot of time finding my way around.

Monday I go into work. I fill out an application, take a drug test, and give my basic information. I am told to come back Wednesday at 10:30 for orientation. Ok, I have 2 days off without pay. Great. Well at least I can unpack my stuff in my apartment and get settled it. My boss drives me to my apartment. Ok, let me first start by saying I’m not real picky. I can handle a lot…but this…I don’t know how long I can handle this. I wanted to cry when I walked in…yeah, that bad. Let me paint you a picture: It’s a big room…a full size bed is in the middle of the room against the wall. To my left is my kitchenette. This consists of a counter that has a small sink, a mini fridge, a hot plate, a toaster, and a microwave. I have 2 forks, spoons, knives, plates, cups, and a can opener. This is fully stocked? I guess my version of fully stocked and the companies is a little different. I have on built in shelf against the wall in front of my bed which holds the TV that gets 3 channels with an antenna. Next to this is a small card sized table with 2 crappy old 70’s wicker chairs. My bathroom…a hotel bathroom. No drawers or cabinets. I have a closet…with 6 hangers (that I can’t remove from the closet rod…guess I can’t steal those! Damn!) I don’t have a dresser. This is it folks…I’m living in a glorified hotel room or dorm room. I am living out of my suitcase…I have one on the table where I take some clothes from and the rest of my clothes are folded up and sitting on the one shelf I have so they don’t wrinkle in my other suitcase. I can’t unpack all of my stuff (not that I have a lot) considering I have nowhere to put anything. I’m in hell. Yes, I want to cry every time I have to come “home”. So Monday and Tuesday I have been driving up and down the coast hiking the trails I have found, taking pictures of waterfalls and ocean. Reading and running on local trails…all to keep me busy and out of my place. When it gets dark…I have to go back, dragging my heals as I do so. I’ve already talked to my boss about this living situation…telling her that if this was just a few weeks it would be fine. But I can’t live like this for 3 months…a place where I can’t cook or not even have a place to have company sit when they come over. She at first was wondering why I couldn’t’ stay here and finally gave in and told me that something may open up at the end of January. Then she asked if I could stick it out until the end of December and she would see if anything was going to open up after the first of the year. So cross your fingers, pray, light your candles or whatever you want to do in the hopes I get a better place soon!

So I start work tomorrow. I have 2 days of orientation…basically sitting and listening to all the same crap I get to listen to everywhere I work…sexual harassment, time sheets, Medicare rules, etc. Fun times. So while my first few days here really sucks, I’m hoping once I get into my new apartment and my routine at work and make some friends that I can hang out with and show me what there is to do in this small town…I’ll be good. For now I will just keep repeating “I love my job, I love my job, I love my job” and put on my big girl pants and just deal with it. Although my big girl pants seem to be a little tight right now, so I don't know how long I can keep them on. I'm going to bed, hiding under my blankets may help!

Aloha!

No comments: