When working in a nursing home you realize a few things: 1) Old people love to watch The Price is Right, The Bold and the Beautiful, and Maury Povich, 2) If you pass gas you can just pretend it was one of the clients…half the time they don’t even realize if it was them or not (to anyone who’s worked in OT or ANY medical field…you know this to be true because you’ve done it, don’t EVEN lie!), 3) You realize how much of a difference you make in someone’s life by the compliments they give and the way they react to you.
My second day on the new job went as well as the first. The only thing that is not really fun is that all of the treatment sessions are 60 minutes long…and trying to find something to do with patients for an hour is sometimes hard and something most of us OT’s don’t like doing…BUT I find a way. The clients I have are pretty great. Yesterday I wasn’t really sure if they took to me but after today, I think I’m in. My day started by one of them telling me “You’re a beautiful girl”….I could easily be told that everyday! So as I went on to my next client (smiling of course…because who wouldn’t with a compliment like that?!) I was stopped by the wife of another client I had seen the day before while she was there. She asked if I had found my way around town and then proceeded to give me directions to the local AAA so I could get some maps and said if I needed anything to let her know. She was disappointed to hear that I had already worked with her husband because she was looking forward to talking with me again. So as I continued on to yet another client (all while my head was getting bigger and bigger…no jokes please) she told me that I had a warm heart. Man, such compliments! This makes me realize that I am making a difference and that people are taking to me well…even if I do pretend I didn’t pass gas (oh please, we all have gas).
After work I stayed away from the freeways (since I wanted to actually get home on time). My cable guy was waiting for me, he didn’t tell me I was beautiful but he was good to look at so I forgave him. So finally I have real TV rather than 2 fuzzy channels! Now I can watch news, sports, and LOST without squinting my eyes. Tomorrow I will be off to work once again and will hit the gym afterwards. I haven’t been running in awhile so it will be nice to pick it up again.
Thanks to everyone for all the phone calls and emails to see how I’m doing! It’s great to hear from everyone!
Big Hugs!
Tuesday, January 10, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
We've had a lot of fun reading your blog. Sounds like you already have had quite an adventure. Imagine what the next few months will bring! Maybe I should have been an OT - I've need a good "cover up" once in awhile! Hope you do get some maps from AAA and don't depend on Mapquest. They are the same ones that send truckers over Rock Island Dam or over the Colockum to get to Alcoa! Looking forward to the next installment. Always good to hear from someone who has a life!
I told my mom that all of that gas noise was Auntie Sierra and she didn't believe me... Now I've got proof!!!
I've always said you are beautiful, kind, etc. but you never believed me. Just goes to show. . .you should listen to your mother.
Here's a hint to everyone else: despite the phone calls being appreciated, do NOT call Sierra during LOST (Wednesdays 9-10 pm).
Right on, Meghan!
Unless you are discussing LOST... then feel free.
Post a Comment