Monday, September 07, 2009

You Know You Are Becoming Your Mother When…

The other night (Saturday night) my friends and I decided to go to a movie. A girls night out if you will. We were planning on maybe getting together earlier for dinner then a movie, just having a good time. It didn’t turn out exactly as planned and this is when I discovered I was becoming my mother.

The day of, I was out running errands and getting last minute things moved into the apartment. I was hot, cranky, tired, and not ready to go out at all. I called my friends and explained I was still out getting stuff done and was nowhere ready to go to dinner and a movie. I realized then that we could still make the movie…but it would be a late movie. However the thought of going to a movie so late concerned me a little, seeing as I go to bed by 9:30. This is when I knew I was becoming my mother.

After finishing errands, putting together furniture, showering, and getting dressed, I was ready. Now back in the day of early 20’s, I would have gotten dressed in some cute jeans, a nice top, and maybe some heels along with some jewelry. This night however, I was in my lovely jeans (comfy ones), a sweatshirt, flip flops, and no makeup with glasses on. Yes, I did manage to wear a bra. Although I was thinking I could somehow go without it. This is when I realized I was becoming my mother.

When I got to the movie theatre I met my friends, who were equally as “dressed up” and away we went to watch the movie. As we got to our seats we each sat down with a small whimper, whine, or groan while we all realized we were sore and our bones hurt because of some “taxing” effort we put forth through the day. This is when I noticed I was becoming my mother.

Once we got comfortable in our seats we each did our respective mother idiosyncrasies. Michelle, to the left of me, pulled out her bag of candy she bought at the candy store earlier in the evening. Kristen, to the right, pulled out her bag of pre-popped popcorn from her purse. Then there was me…I pulled out a wad of napkins I stole from the concession stand and put my hand full of napkins in each of there faces while harping “do you need a napkin, I have some!” This is when I felt “I am becoming my mother!”

Once the movie was over it was 11:30….P.M!!! I was so tired and ready for bed. My tired, achy body was ready to hit the mattress and sleep the pain away. With both hands on the steering wheel (10 and 2…like mom, or more like grandma) I was on my way home to my husband and my bed. Of course the husband was ready for some pre-sleep fun, but I was too tired. Oh my God! I AM my mother!

All joking aside, it’s ok that I’m becoming my mother. She’s a wonderful person and I would be lucky to have half as many wonderful people in my life that she has. So while I don’t mind becoming my mother…I hate getting older!

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

HEY! I don't go to bed at 9:30 (usually) and I wear a bra in public! Okay, so I whine about aches and pains and have lots of napkins at the movies, but it's only for crying movies and the over-buttered popcorn that I have to have. Anyway, it could be worse, you could be MY mother!

Unknown said...

You are so right that your mother is a wonderful person. As much of a bitch as she strives to be, she can't help but be the loving, generous, adorable, thoughtful, unselfish, brave,friendly, clever, funny, witty, swell person that she is. When I grow up, I want to be her ... except not as old!