I know I should be writing about political stuff, seeing as its election night. I can’t, I’m watching the news and probably will be for the next 5 hours and so instead of writing about something that everyone else is watching (or should be watching) I will write about something else that happened this week (or last week) that everyone should hear. Halloween in Vegas!!
Ah yes, Hallows eve. A day that originally started by celebrating the end of the summer and the harvest and beginning of the winter. A day where the Hispanic culture celebrates loved ones that have passed. A day where kids dress up as their favorite character or roll model and trick or treat in the hope for candy! A day where there are contests for the sexiest costume…..HUH?! That’s right, welcome to the Vegas version of Halloween.
Since Halloween happened to be on a Friday and I didn’t have to work over the weekend, Mr. Teacher and I decided to go out on the town to people watch. We’ve heard that there are a lot of people that dress up on the strip so we decided to see for ourselves. We toyed with the idea of dressing up ourselves, however I’m not brave enough and couldn’t find a costume that I fell in love with. So we got ourselves dressed in our regular clothes and headed out, oh what a site.
We arrived on the strip around 7:00. There weren’t many people in costumes besides the group of early 20 somethings dressed as a mixture of pirates and pimps. Evidently they arrived in the same boat, or Cadillac. We started walking towards the MGM where we grabbed dinner and then proceeded to the local club to hang out and watch the mayhem. Mind you we didn’t go into the club, even though we were invited, I just don’t know that I can handle drinking that much and having zombies and such dancing around me. Plus I had to get my blood drawn the next morning and I don’t want my doctor thinking my blood alcohol level is usually that high.
We found a seat and from there we had 2 hours of watching and then eventually our mouths hanging open at the shock and aw of it all. There were some of the usual costumes…togas, super heroes, presidential candidates, and sports stars. Then there were the creative. My personal favorite…the man dressed as a Mormon, complete with white shirt, black tie, backpack, bible in the pocket, and bicycle helmet. Now if I’ve offended any of my Mormon friends, I apologize…but come on, that’s great! Then there were the other costumes….oh my.
So in Vegas everything is “sexier”. Depending on what your thought of sexy is, it just might be sexier here or just trashy. There were several contests for sexiest, trashiest, porn-iest costumes...and it would seem that everyone was trying to win. I have never in my life seen so many people hardly dressed. Since when did a bra and underwear while wearing heals become a Halloween costume? If that was the case then the Victoria’s secret models look kind of silly wearing their Halloween costumes on their Christmas runway show. Crazy models!
Now part of the reason I didn’t want to dress up is because A) I didn’t want to wear something that someone else would have worn. And B) because I am not nor will I ever be comfortable with my body no matter how much weight I lose. Which is why I wasn’t dressing up as a stripper, or super model, or lingerie model (depending on who you ask). However after walking around I realized that I could have pulled it off compared to some of these girls. Yes there were the skinny bitches with perfect bodies dressed in their cop outfits that consisted of booty shorts, a bra top, and a hat. And then there were the big girls. Now I’ve never been tiny, I am a big girl and that’s fine with me…since I could probably kick your ass…but that’s another subject. Then there are those big girls who are just probably too big to wear something tight and clingy. I thought I would be seeing more skinny people trying to look sleazy but the fact that I witnessed more than my fare share of thick women with too much flesh showing, made me kind of cringe.
I give it up to them for having more self confidence than I ever have, have, or ever will have…but there are times when you think “Really? Good for you for being confident but maybe you should find a costume for your body type.” Have they never seen What Not To Wear on TLC???!! I saw a few “sexy” Harry Potter costumes with big bellies, then there were the giant lady bugs with thick thighs, the best however was the 250 pound Snow White (and that outfit wasn’t a long dress but a short, short, SHORT, skirt with lots of cleavage showing and a beer gut hanging out there). My thought of Disney movies has changed forever. It’s cool to try and look good and a little sexier than you want, but I don’t know that putting it all out there (literally) is the way to go. It just invites stares and gawks and lots of blog postings such as this one.
I think there should be a Halloween costume makeover show. Show these girls, big and small, how to dress for what their body type is and make the most of it. Because really, a Halloween costume out of a bag that reads “once size fits all” really isn’t true. Scary thought.
Tuesday, November 04, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I wish I could have experienced this with you. I would have been laughing 'til I passed out I'm sure!
Post a Comment